We Play in the OJHL …
The Ontario Junior Hockey League is the largest Junior ‘A’ league operating under the auspices of the Canadian Junior Hockey League with 22 member clubs.
The league’s footprint stretches from Trenton to Buffalo and north to Collingwood – and now Haliburton County.
With a long and storied history of developing players for the next level, including U SPORTS, the NCAA, CHL, minor pro ranks and the NHL, the OJHL had more than 125 commitments in 2019-20– including more than 45 NCAA Division I scholarships.
You’ve seen players from ‘The OJ’ on your TV screens.
On opening day of the 2021 NHL season, there were 59 players on rosters who skated in the OJHL – as full-time players or affiliates from U16 or U18 teams.
OJHL alumni – who played full time in the league – skating in the NHL this season include:
- Toronto Maple Leafs Zach Hyman (Hamilton), Michael Hutchinson (Orangeville) and Travis Dermott (Newmarket). Mitch Marner and John Tavares played as U16 affilates.
- St. Michael’s Buzzers graduates and brothers Reilly Smith (Vegas Golden Knights) and Brendan Smith (New York Rangers)
- Calgary Flames defencemen Mark Giordano (Brampton, North York) and Chris Tanev (Whitby, Stouffville, Markham)
- Edmonton Oilers goaltender Mike Smith (Kingston)
- Ottawa Senators winger Connor Brown (St. Michael’s)
- Drake Caggiula (Stouffville) of the Phoenix Coyotes
- Montreal Canadiens centre Jake Evans (St. Michael’s)
- San Jose Sharks defenceman Mario Ferraro (Toronto Patriots)
- Edmonton Oilers forward Devon Shore (Whitby Fury)
The OJHL has four players – the most of any Jr. A league in Canada – on the NHL Central Scouting draft list for the 2021 draft.
Recent OJHL draft picks currently with NCAA teams include Eric Ciccolini (New York Rangers ‘ Michigan), Ryan Tverberg (Toronto Maple Leafs / UConn) and Jack McBain (Minnesota Wild / Boston College).
History of the League
A proud member of the CJHL and Ontario Hockey Association, the OJHL was originally named the Ontario Provincial Junior ‘A’ Hockey League and it was formed out of the Central Junior ‘B’ Hockey League in 1993-94.